Tuesday, April 7, 2009

I have begun my pre-institute work that I have to complete before I get to Atlanta in June. I have eight different lessons I have to work on, and each requires written responses from me. I will most likely post those on here so that I can not only keep up with them but also so that I can keep track of my progress. Today, I began my first reading, "Teaching as Leaders: Ms. Lora's Story." There are many things that I can comment on so far about what I have read of her experiences, but this one struck me the most so far. Here is an excerpt which discusses a phone call she had with her father after her first day of school:


And every time he did it, she smiled too. They both understood that by calling her “Ms. Lora,” Aurora’s father was lightly teasing her but also signaling his approval of her decision, and his disapproval of all of those who thought the idea was crazy.

Ms. Lora could not count the number of strange looks she received—ranging from the merely quizzical to the blatantly disapproving—when she told friends, relatives, colleagues, professors, and employers that she was going to teach. The idea that Aurora should use her own academic achievement and budding leadership skills to work toward raising others’ seemed absurd to many, and actively distasteful to some. “Have you thought about law school?” “Or grad school?” “Didn’t you want to be a doctor?” “But you can do anything you want to do. . .” Ms. Lora had endured the subtle and not-so-subtle disapproval of her decisions, telling herself that those short-sighted, but supposedly well-intended, comments only further validated her decision. Her father’s smile-laced “Ms. Lora” was a welcome reassurance that she had made the right decision.


I think it is interesting what different experiences she and I had upon making the decision for TFA. Of course, my parents worry about me being in an unsafe area or moving to a new place, but no one ever doubted me being a teacher. I don't know how I would have gotten this far, or how I would get through the next two years, if I didn't have so much support: from my family, my friends, Zach, the camp staff, everyone. I have no idea what I will do after my two year commitment, but it is certainly nice to know that I have such a huge support system to get me through this step and every other step in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you know how much we believe in you, and also, how important the family support system is. We are blessed beyond description. Love you, baby, keep it up and know we are proud of you!! Mom

    ReplyDelete