Today I pulled my ninth graders out of their math support class in order to give them a diagnostic to determine their strengths and weaknesses. One of them told me the quote I used as the title. Mind you, the "Math Support" class is already a class for students who are weak in math and get recommended for it by their 8th grade math teachers. I wanted to respond, that's a slow class too, but I refrained. I can understand not wanting to be called out from a class. However, I did it in the most discreet way possible. Instead of letting the students begin class in the room and then going to get them, I asked the teacher to send them to me as soon as he saw them in the hall. I understand they don't want to be seen as different, or slow, or whatever they or the other kids say. I explained to them my reasoning behind giving them another diagnostic (I gave them one on Monday that actually didn't give me much information, except that they all failed.) I also tried to explain my role. I told them I wasn't there to embarrass them or make them feel bad -- my job was to help them in any way that I could. I told them I only wanted to get them so smart that they beat all the other students when it came time to take our End of Course Tests (EOCTs). Some of them are behind me. Others, I still have to convince.
I also sent a student to time out today. I didn't know what else to do. He repeatedly disobeyed me. So I told him if he would act like an adult I would treat him like one, but until then I would treat him like the elementary school student he was acting like. I would like to think that it set some sort of tone. I'm worried it will just backfire. He told me I wouldn't have to worry about him talking in my class anymore because he was going to get switched out of my advisory. We'll see about that. I can't imagine that they would let him switch, but I have seen crazier things happen already this year.
I am working on a way to really invest my advisees in our class. So far, they are bored and unengaged. I have to keep reminding myself that it is only the second week of school. I guess I was pretty cocky thinking that I would immediately be beloved by all! I know it will get better. I remind myself of it every day. Two days until the weekend, and tomorrow is payday (*hopefully* -- if they got my paperwork in town. If not, I have $7 to my name until Labor Day).
No comments:
Post a Comment