Wednesday, August 5, 2009

But can you walk the walk?

So its now t-minus 5 days until I am standing in front of my high school students, praying that they will respect me. What a mixture of excitement and terror. I am anxious to get started with something I have been thinking and praying about for so long.
I have spent the last week at APS (Atlanta Public Schools) training sessions, orientation to my school, faculty and departmental meetings, TFA training sessions and meetings with my co-teacher(s). I am initially placed as the PEC (Program for Exceptional Children -- the new way of saying Special Ed) teacher for 11th and 12th grade -- primarily working with the ELA (English Language Arts) teacher, Mrs. D. She is a no-nonsense lady who has been teaching for more than twenty years and I am excited to work with her. She has already "taken me under her wing." I also like my principal so far. Both Mrs. D and Mrs. G seem to understand the purpose and the importance of the PEC program. As per my title -- they certainly talk the talk -- I'm anxious to see if they can walk the walk.
Yesterday I was told that I may also co-teach history. At first, I was nervous. However, I felt better soon. The 11th/12th grade history teacher, who is also the grade-level team leader, is a 2nd year TFA (CM) Corps Member who was Teacher of the Year last year -- hallelujah!! I can already tell he is going to be great to work with and they will all definitely be a support team for me. I also learned that there is another 2nd year CM at my school, so I am excited to meet her as well.
All in all, this past week has been a positive experience. As the only new teacher at STEMS, and therefore the only 1st year teacher, I was worried about how I would be viewed or treated. But everyone has been so friendly so far. I am making relationships with teachers both within my grade assignment and those who aren't and also in a range of subjects. So far, I feel like I have been placed in a good situation. I know I will certainly have my challenged -- but I am in a better place than many of my peers.

Culture shocks for this week:
---metal detectors guard the doors where the students enter the school
---Mrs. D told me that of the 56 seniors, roughly half of which are girls. Of these girls, she could only think of 3 or 4 who had never been pregnant.
---I am one of two white teachers at my school. A school which I am told has no white students.

This will be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment